What is it?
When you use Chrome, Safari, or Firefox, you are most likely being tracked while your data is constantly being sold. Thus, by using these platforms, you essentially give up any form of privacy. Even with that being said, the idea that privacy and anonymity online is dead is far from being true. If done properly, it can be achieved. For the most part, it is as simple as downloading a separate browser from your everyday browser.
The Tor Browser is a free alternative to the mainstream browsers. For privacy and security advocates around the world (including myself), the Tor Browser is and forever will be the browser of choice. Here is a simple overview as to why you should use it (taken directly from their website):
- It circumvents any government censorship.
- Defends against tracking and surveillance.
- Multi-layered encryption.
The Tor Project, the organization behind the Tor Browser, is a registered 501(c)3 US nonprofit organization. They are on a mission to advance human rights and defend privacy online through the free software and open networks. They believe that everyone should 100% be able to explore the internet with absolute privacy.
The Tor Project’s mission:
“To advance human rights and freedoms by creating and deploying free and open source anonymity and privacy technologies, supporting their unrestricted availability and use, and furthering their scientific and popular understanding.”
Benefits of using the Tor Browser:
- Achieve a higher level of anonymity online.
- Browse securely online through strong encryption.
- Experience true freedom of the online world
Downfalls of using the Tor Browser:
- Web page speeds sometimes appear slower (which is normal due to how Tor works).
- Some web pages block the use Tor and will often cause the web pages to break.
- It may be an inconvenience to use a different web browser other than the one you have used for years.
How to install the Tor Browser on Desktop:
- Go to https://torproject.com
- Select “Download Tor Browser”
- Click the downloaded file
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Launch the Tor Browsers
- Click “Connect”
- It will confirm whether or not you are connected to the Tor network.
How to install Tor Browser on Android:
- Go to Google Play Store
- Search “Tor Browser”
- Install “Tor Browser” by The Tor Project
- Open app and select “Connect.”
How to install Tor Browser on iOS (NOTE: Due to specific limitations by iOS, there are certain privacy related issues, and therefore, there is not an official Tor Browser app for iOS. However, this app is heavily endorsed by the Tor Project):
- Go to App Store
- Search “Onion Browser”
- Install “Onion Browser” by Mike Tigas
- Tap screen and select “Connect to Tor”
Enjoy and connect freely to the open internet using the Tor Browser!